Psychological features of interaction with cancer patients and their relatives during the treatment process
Interaction with a cancer patient requires professional psychological and communication skills from the doctor and includes an understanding of the patient's mental state, the manifestation of empathy and adequate information about the disease. The work of a medical psychologist in an oncological clinic, based on various and individual psychotherapeutic psychocorrectional methods, helps patients and their relatives overcome the negative behavioral and emotional consequences of the disease. The need to take into account the patient's adherence to treatment is especially acute in oncology. This requires the doctor to have special communication skills with patients, that can be provided to him by a medical psychologist. Characterization of these features was the purpose of the article. This is also the novelty of the article. The main points of the article are to highlight the new methods used by a medical psychologist to provide psychological support for the diagnosis and treatment of cancer patients. These methods also focus the doctor's attention on the treatment being performed and the responsibility for its outcome. In this case, the psychological side of the disease: the personality of the patient himself, his experiences and psychoemotional state influencing the treatment are taken into account by the doctor to a lesser extent. The results of the completed research point out that interaction with a cancer patient requires professional psychological and communication skills from the doctor. Effective interaction between an oncologist and a patient includes an understanding of the feelings and mental state of a cancer patient, the manifestation of empathy and adequate information about the disease. For the effective implementation of psychological assistance, a medical psychologist needs to know the specifics of the mental states of cancer patients and the patterns of their course. A medical psychologist uses in his work a variety of psychotherapeutic and psychocorrectional methods that are selected for each patient individually after a preliminary conversation and clinical and psychological diagnostics of the mental state. The work of a psychologist in an oncological clinic helps patients and their relatives overcome the negative behavioral and emotional consequences of the disease.
2. Novik A. A.& Ionova T. I. (2002). Rukovodstvo po issledovaniyu kachestva zhizni v medicine [Guidelines for Research on Quality of Life in Medicine], SPb.: Izdatel'skij dom «Neva», M.: «OLMA-PRESS Zvezdnyj mir». 320 s. [in Russian].
3. Semiglazova T. Yu., Karickij A. P., Chulkova V. A. & Vagajceva M. V. (2015). Kachestvo zhizni s tochki zreniya vracha i pacienta. MaterialY XIX Rossijskogo onkologicheskogo kongressa [Quality of life from the point of view of the doctor and the patient. Materials of the XIX Russian Congress of Oncology], М. [in Russian].
4. Semiglazova T. YU., Semiglazov V. V., Filatova L. V., Krivorot'ko P. V. & Kolar'kova V. V. (2013). Kachestvo zhizni — vazhnyj kriterij ehffektivnosti targetnoj terapii metastaticheskogo porazheniya skeleta pri rake molochnoj zhelezy [Quality of life is an important criterion for the effectiveness of targeted therapy of metastatic skeletal lesions in breast cancer]. Opukholi zhenskoj reproduktivnoj sistemy, (1–2), 17–22. [in Russian].
5. Karickij A. P., Chulkova V. A., Pestereva E. V. & Semiglazova T. YU. (2015). Reabilitaciya onkologicheskogo bol'nogo kak osnova povysheniya kachestva ego zhizni [Rehabilitation of a cancer patient as the basis for improving the quality of his life]. Voprosy onkologii, (2), 180–184. [in Russian].
6. Semke V. Ya., Chojnzonov E. L., Kupriyanova I. E. & Balackaya L. N. (2008). Razvitie sibirskoj psikhoonkologii [Development of Siberian psycho-oncology], Tomsk: Izd-vo Tomskogo universiteta. 198 s. [in Russian].
7. Tarabrina N. V., Vorona O. V., Kurchakova M. S., Padun M. A. & Shatalova N. E. (2010). Onkopsikhologiya: posttravmaticheskij stress u bol'nykh rakom molochnoj zhelezy [Oncopsychology: post-traumatic stress in breast cancer patients], M: Izd-vo «Institut psikhologii RAN», 175 s. [in Russian].
8. Tkachenko G. A., Sedrakyan A. N. & Arutyunov S. D. (2010). Analiz ehmocional'nogo sostoyaniya bol'nykh zlokachestvennymi novoobrazovaniyami razlichnoj lokalizacii [Analysis of the emotional state of patients with malignant neoplasms of various localization]. Palliativnaya medicina i reabilitaciya, (2), 61–64. [in Russian].
9. Holland Dzh. & Watson M. (2013). Psycho-Oncology, Sbornik statej i materialov Mezhdunarodnoj shkoly psikhosocial'noj onkologii «Psikhosocial'nyj podkhod v klinicheskoj onkologii: ot nauki k praktike», 8–14. [in Russian].
10. Chulkova V. A., Komyakov I. P., Karelov A. E., Demin E. V. & DonskikH R. V. (2012). Ehmocional'noe vygoranie vrachej-onkologov i medicinskikh sester onkologicheskoj kliniki [Emotional burnout of oncologists and nurses of an oncology clinic]. Uchebnoe posobie dlya vrachej-onkologov, SPb.: Izd-vo GBOU VPO SZGMU im. I. I. Mechnikova, 30 s. [in Russian].
11. Cumming, K. M. (1991). Interaction strategies to improve compliance wish medical regimens by ambulatory hemodialysis patients, Journal of behavioral medicine, 4 (1), 111–119.
12. Thome S. E., Bultz B. D. & Baile W. F. (2005). Is There a Cost to Poor Communication in Cancer Care?: A Critical Review of the Literature, Psycho-Oncology: special issue: Patient — Professional Communication, 14 (10), 875–884.
13. Sheena, D. (2015). Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Patients With Cancer. Journal of Advanced and Practical Oncology, 6 (1), 54–56.
14. Speckens, A. (2020). Cost‐utility of individual internet‐based and face‐to‐face Mindfulness‐Based Cognitive Therapy compared with treatment as usual in reducing psychological distress in cancer patients, 29 (2), 294-303.
15. Wen‐Ying, S. Ch. (2020). Digital interventions to facilitate patient‐provider communication in cancer care: A systematic review, 29 (4), 591-603.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.