Social and psychological determinants of suicidal behavior
The article is devoted to the coverage of socio-psychological factors of the emergence of suicidal behavior in pre-adult age. The article provides theoretical and methodological substantiation and empirical verification of the correlation of suicidal behavior in pre-adult age with psychological personality traits, identifies socio-psychological features of such behavior, as well as provides an empirical analysis of individually-psychological factors of suicidal ideation.
The author formed a phased model of the emergence of suicidal behavior, described its main stages, among which were identified: the inability to adapt to changes in the social environment, conflict in the microenvironment, social and psychological maladaptation, the emergence of deviant behavior, intractable intolerance.
There were also three groups of factors that provoked the emergence of suicidal behavior in pre-adult age: general psychological features of suicides; personal factors; family factors.
Selected 3 valid diagnostic methods are aimed at: research of manifestations and stages of development of suicidal behavior; research of the relatives’ presence of persons who have attempted or succeeded in suicide; research of personal psychological states that highly likely influenced the suicidal behavior. The sample was divided into three groups. Separation criteria were stages in the development of suicidal behavior.
It has been empirically proven that presuicidal behavior is conditioned by a multitude of influences. The most common of them are: the appearance of expressed anxiety, frustration, aggression, rigidity, as well as changes in the attitude to one's life and death.
2. Ambrumova A. (1981). Rol lychnosty v problemakh suytsyda [The role of the individual in suicide]. Aktualnyie problemy suitsidologii. Portnov A.A. (Ed.). Moscow. (in Russian)
3. Elkind D. (1974). A Sympathetic Understanding of the Child: Birth to Sixteen – Publisher. Allynand Bacon. (in English)
4. Kokun O.M., Ahaiev N.A., Pishko I.O., Lozinska N.S., Kornia L.V. (2019). Psykholohichna otsinka suitsydalnoho ryzyku u viiskovosluzhbovtsiv [Psychological assessment of suicidal risk in military personnel. Kyiv. (in Ukraine)
5. Kovacs M., Beck A. T. (1977). The wish to die and the wish to live in attempted suicide. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 33, 361–365. (in English)
6. Ryabchich I. (2013). Sotsialno-psykholohichni chynnyky presuitsydalnoi povedinky pidlitkiv [Sotsialno-psykholohichni chynnyky presuitsydalnoi povedinky pidlitkiv]. Kyiv. (in Ukraine)
7. Rybalka V. (2009). Psykholohichna profilaktyka suitsydalnykh tendentsii problemnoi osobystosti [Psychological prevention of suicidal tendencies of problematic personality] Kyiv: Shkilnyi Svit. (in Ukraine)
8. Slutskyi A. (1992). Nekotorye psykholohycheskye aspektы povedenyia suytsydentov [Some psychological aspects of suicidal behavior]. Psihologicheskiy zhurnal, 13, 1, 77-85. (in Russian)
9. Vasheka T. (2005). Profilaktyka samohubstva sered pidlitkiv: metodyka dlia vymiriuvannia suitsydalnoi povedinky [Suicide prevention among adolescents: a technique for measuring suicidal behavior]. (in Ukraine)